Young people should have an education that gives them the opportunity for a wide variety of learning experiences. Music provides a unique avenue to the imaginative and affective aspects of life and their contribution to our cultural heritage. Young people play, move, and listen to music through participation in the music program. They have active musical experiences of both an individual and shared nature under expert guidance. Their lives and the life of the community will be enriched by their participation.
The Acalanes High School Instrumental Music program and its instructors strive to do the following:
- Nurture an enjoyment and understanding of music, enriching the quality of life.
- Help students realize their potential by providing opportunities for creativity and expression of feelings and ideas through music.
- Develop individual musical interests and skills which will allow participation in music making throughout life and which may lead to a career in music.
- Expand knowledge, awareness, and appreciation of different kinds of music to cultivate discriminating consumers.
- Offer varied experiences through which students may become acquainted with other art forms and cultures.